My Personal Space in the World

A young Black woman, mother to four children, trying to find some kind of existence in this vast space called earth.

Monday, November 01, 2004

Another Job Slips Through My Hands

Recently, a classmate of mine informed me of a position open at her place of business. She works at NYU Medical Center. Since I've been trying to get a job either in the medical center or at NYU, I jumped at the chance. The pay isn't great but one of the best benefits is tution remission. The only thing was that when the position became available, she didn't know at the time I was looking for work so she posted the position in the New York Times. She still told me to fax my resume to her and she would see what she could do. (Only if she knew ahead of time that I was looking, she wouldn't have posted the job and would have just given it to me.) I faxed it to her on Monday and didn't hear from her until Thursday. She apologized for not getting back to me sooner but she was wrangling with Human Resources on my qualifications. She wanted to bring me in but they wanted someone with medical secretarial experience. Mind you, I have five years of working with a nurse-midwife (but that was ten years ago!). To me, experience is experience but HR didn't feel that way. So they told her to interview others first and then, if none are qualified, bring me in. Well, I knew what THAT meant. She apologized profusely. I told her not to worry about it. At least, she tried.

What bothers me most is that HR just overlooked my total experience. Yes, my medical experience may be somewhat outdated but I have other experience, including legal. And I'm currently working at NYU in a student position. (I couldn't secure full-time work so my advisor pulled some strings to get me part-time work at the university.) I worked for a major law firm and I was just as busy (if not more) than a medical office. With the way this economy is, I hope to find full-time work soon. I have been unemployed since July 2002 and I just don't see thing getting any better.

Maybe I should just take this rejection as their loss. Something better will come along soon. I know it.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home