My Personal Space in the World

A young Black woman, mother to four children, trying to find some kind of existence in this vast space called earth.

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Post-Election 2004-What Now?

As am I sitting here at my desk at school, contemplating my thoughts, I'm wondering how am I going to make it through the next four years. How will my family make it? I live in NYC and haven't worked a full-time job since July 2002. I have to work a student position at school just to cover my rent and get myself more in debt by taking out student loans to cover other living expenses. I voted for John Kerry with the hopes that he could stimulate the economy and I could find work. Now those hopes have been dashed. I am a secretary with fifteen years experience and I cannot find a job. How sorry is that?

I went the the polls early on November 2nd, thinking that if I go in early, there wouldn't be any lines. Yeah, right! This was the first time in twelve years that I had to stand in line to vote; it moved pretty fast - I only waited 20 minutes but going by past history, usually when people vote in droves, it means they want a change. I guess not. I do not knock any person that voted for Bush Jr but how naive can they be? With everything that has happened to this country in the past four years, how could anybody vote for the same? You would think that, with the exception of Texas, New York and Washington, D.C. would back Bush 200% - they didn't. Shouldn't that have been a lesson to the rest of the country? The terrorist attacks happened in our backyards and we didn't vote for our President that promised to bring whomever was responsible to justice? I just don't understand. But that is all water under the bridge now. Kerry conceded and Bush is looking at another four years. I certainly hope that he now focused on domestic issues because if he doesn't, I see the U.S. going the way of Chile in the 1980's. Bush reached out to me and all the others that voted against him. I hope that you can win us over because right now, I am thoroughly disgusted with the voting system and am really considering not voting anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home