My Personal Space in the World

A young Black woman, mother to four children, trying to find some kind of existence in this vast space called earth.

Monday, November 08, 2004

What is Up With Those Ads?

On Thursday, I picked up a Daily News on my way to school and was shocked to see a scantily-clad young girl with "Akademiks" written across her bottom, holding a book and looking like she was ready for somone to "do her doggie-style". Even though I have a teenager and a "tween", I never heard of the term "get brain" until I was reading the article. So I thought that now the term is "getting brain" instead of "getting head". But what was so unbelievable is that the company knew what the slogan meant and hoped that officials at the MTA (Metropolitan Transit Authority) would not. Apparently, they didn't. These ads were on hundreds of buses and platforms before the MTA finally figured out (or was informed) and started pulling them off. What kind of company would pull a stunt like that? The marketers at Akademiks may have found it humorous but many more haven't. How can they, as a company representing the hip-hop culture, so something so underhanded? We, as blacks/African-Americans (whichever you prefer), are already thought from our white counterparts as being overly sexual or lazy or stupid and this stunt cements that thinking. This company has shown me their ignorance and I definitely would not support them by purchasing their clothing....not that I would anyway. My partner has bought a couple of jeans from them and he stated then that he would would probably not purchase them anymore because the quality isn't as good as Sean John or RocaWear and most importantly - they cost a lot more.

The article goes on to say that MTS would like a formal apology issued and the company refused. Why would they refuse? To issue an apology would show their guilt? I guess they feel that what was put in those ads were correct? Maybe they feel that the ads were "morally correct"? With ads like those, is there any doubt why Bush Jr wouldn't meet with BET reporter, Ed Gordon?? With ads like those, is there any doubt WHY Bush Jr. won a second term?? I'm not saying not to have ads of that nature on display, just watch the double messages that are placed within them.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home